[Insight-users] smart pointers and local scope

Michael michakuhn at gmx.ch
Wed Aug 18 11:19:45 EDT 2004

Thanks, a little test program allocating a char buffer and deleting it
afterwards proved that. How can I keep track of the "used" memory in
Unix (top obviously does not show what I want to see...)?

How are other processes affected by this behaviour of Unix? Say, I have
a program that allocates 1 GB of memory and deletes it right afterwards,
then it's for example waiting for user input. On a system with 0.5 GB of
main memory and 1 GB of swap space, can I do the following?:

start program
wait until it has freed its memory and waits for user input
start the same program again (while the first process is still running)

I guess the second process should crash since there is not enogh memory
available (main memory + swap = 1.5 GB, process1 + process2 = 2 GB, even
though process1 already freed its memory). Is this correct? Can I do
something against this?

Thanks,

Michael