[Insight-users] Question about HybridSegmentationFuzzyVoronoi

Jane Meinel myitk at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 09:42:57 EDT 2004

Hi Celina,
I'm appreciated for your detailed answer. In order to understand this method better, I should read your old paper:
Imielinska, C.; Downes, M; and Yuan, W., "Semi-Automated Color
Segmentation of Anatomical Tissue", Journal of Computerized Medical
Imaging and Graphics, 24(2000), 173-180, April, 2000
However, I can not get this paper. Could you please do me a favor and send a copy of this paper to me?
Is it possible to draw the triangle mesh of the middle result of the iteration of Voronoid diagram like the figures in your paper? Which class of ITK should I use?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Jane

Celina Imielinska <ci42 at columbia.edu> wrote:

Jane,

the most detailed description of the Voronoi diagram classifier
(without the fuzzy connectedness part) you can find in my old paper:

Imielinska, C.; Downes, M; and Yuan, W., "Semi-Automated Color
Segmentation of Anatomical Tissue", Journal of Computerized Medical
Imaging and Graphics, 24(2000), 173-180, April, 2000.

in the hybrid method that is a combination of (simple) fuzzy
connectedness and voronoi classification, we use the simplest version of
otherwise "stand-alone" fuzzy connectedness segmentation (look at other
fuzzy connectedness filters provided by the itk), to derive statistics for
a homogeneity operator for the tissue that we are segmenting. We do need
a well defined homogeneity operator (in theory, it can be provided by
"any" method that can do it "well") to "drive" the subdivisions in the
iterative voronoi classification part of the hybrid method. In the voronoi
classification, random points are thrown at the image, and each voronoi
region, in the voronoi diagram, is classified as
interior/exterior/boundary depending how "close" it is to the
characteristics of the homogeneity operator. We iterate the method and
keep subdividing the boundary voronoi regions only, until the method
converges to the boundary of the object/organ (in the process, we keep
"pushing" the interior inside-out, and the exterior outside-in, and
squizze the boundary in-between, until stopping ctriteria "kick-in).

The estimated mean and standard deviation and other parameters that are
automatically computed from a sample 3D region segmented by the
(simple) fuzzy, can be stored and applied to a new image (same tissue,
same image modality etc.). This method hinges on the "quality" of the
homegeneity operator. We can store the homogeneity operators as a database
for same tissue/organ, same image modality, etc.

if you need more details, please let us know (Yinpeng Jin yj76 at columbia
can answer all questions, too),

-Celina