[Insight-users] Inter-Modality Registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Aug 28 16:50:47 EDT 2004

Hi Tiger,

1) It sounds like you are doing stitching in microscopy or
    creating a mosaic for video or satelite images.

                 Is that the case ?

2) The subject of your email says "Inter-Modality", but...
    if you are doning stitching, it is unlikely that your
    images are actually from multiple modalities...

    Please clarify:

          Are the images of the same modality or not ?

3) If you are doing stiching you can solve the registration
    of every pair of images by setting the FixedImageRegion
    to the expected overlap (5mm x 20mm) and by making sure
    that you assign to all the images, values of pixel spacing
    and image origin that correspond roughly to their correct
    location in space. That will simplify a lot the registration.

4) If you are doing this for Microscopy you may want to start
    with the following components:

     - NormalizedCorrelationMetric
     - TranslationTransform
     - LinearInterpolator
     - RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer

5) Make sure that you connect an Observer to the optimizer
    and you plot the values of the metric as the iterations
    proceed. That will guide in the process of fine tunning
    registration parameters. Keep in mind that you cannot
    trust an optimizer, you must supervise its progress and
    drive its parameters in order to obtain reasonable results.
    The use of command observers is illustrated in almost all
    the registration examples in

               Insight/Examples/Registration