[Insight-users] Problem getting data type for DICOM files

Jenny Simpson simpson at cs.utah.edu
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:16:30 -0700 (MST)

It seems like there is a "loop 22" problem with reading DICOM files.  If I
don't know the data type of the pixel data up front, I have a problem.
The problem is that I can't declare an itk::ImageFileReader without first
knowing the pixel type.  But I can't find out the pixel type until I've
declared a reader and read in the data.  So it's a circular problem.
I need to be able to determine the data type at run time.  What is the
solution?

Thanks,

Jenny Simpson
Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
University of Utah