[Insight-users] Re: RAW file format

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat, 07 Feb 2004 23:33:06 -0500

Hi Jitesh,

RAW can be seen as a "no format".

It is usually the equivalent of dumping
the image buffer into a binary file.

It order to make sense of a binary RAW
file you must figure out the dimensions
of the image (number of pixels along each
axis of coordinates), the pixel spacing in
physical units, the origin of the image, and
the pixel type used for encoding the image.

For a CCD camera, chances are that the pixel
type will be unsigned and 8bits/pixel (maybe
12 bits/pixel if you have an expensive camera).

The number of pixels in X and Y are probably
defined in the technical specifications of your
camera. Note that some CCD cameras produce
analog video output, therefore degrading the
image to something like 525 lines by 600 pixels
per line. If you have such a camera you are
probably using a digital frame grabber in order
to capture the video signal and produce a digital
image.  Look at the documentation of your camera
and the system that is saving the RAW files.

I will strongly suggest you to create MetaImage
headers for your RAW files. ITK readers will
use these headers in order to load the data from
the RAW files in a more secure way.

Instructions on how to create MetaImage headers
are available at

     http://www.itk.org/HTML/Data.htm

Please let us know if you have further questions.