[Insight-users] fix registration parameters

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:53:53 -0500

Hi Carmen,

The easy way to understand the effect of the
parameters-scale is to look at what they do
at the level of the optimizer.

In the case of the gradient descent optimizers,
the parameters divide the value of the gradient
before it is applied for computing the next
step.

For example look at the code in:

   Insight/Code/Numerics/
     itkRegularStepGradientDescentBaseOptimizer.cxx

In the method AdvanceOneStep(), lines 181-187.

Therefore, if you want to disable a specific
parameter, you must set its scale to a very high
value.  In this way its gradient component will
be attenuated and the subsequent steps will not
move much in the dimension of this parameter.