[Insight-users] deformation of cardiac MR images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:08:18 -0500

Hi Jason,

First you may want to get familiar with
the process of loading DICOM slices as
a single volume.

For example look at

   Insight/Examples/IO/
      DicomSeriesReadImageWrite.cxx

Then, you may want to look at the following
options for deformable registration:

1) Demons, with landmarks initialization
2) BSplines transforms
3) FEM-Based.

For (1) you may look first at getting familiar
with the Landmark Warping example in

   Insight/Examples/Registration/
                    LandmarkWarping2.cxx

Since the MR tags will give you a natural
framework for setting landmarks that can
be used for initializing a deformation
field.

This deformation field can be use as input
for any of the two the Demons registration
filters.

For Visualization,
you certainly want to use VTK. A good way
to prototype the visualization pipeline is
to use ParaView (a free and open source tool).

You can download ParaView from

     http://www.paraview.org/HTML/Index.html

It can be used for visualizing your images
and the deformation fields produced by the
registration algorithms.

Once you identify a convenient visualization
pipeline, you can export it as a batch script
and use it as such or translate it into C++.

ParaView also offers functionalities for
running animations of data sets.

Note that if you want to see a surface model
you will have to perform segmentation in
at least one of the datasets. The segmentation
can then be mapped into the other datasets
using the corresponding deformation fields.