[Insight-users] Re: question of the memory

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:57:28 -0500

Hi Tina,

There have been some recent developments in ITK
for reducing the memory footprint of a number of
filters.

Many filters are now allowed to reuse the memory of
the input image. They are called 'inplace' filters.

The smoothing filters used for the multi-resolution
pyramid will be able to take advantage of this
functionality.

When you select 5 levels of the multi-resolution
pyramid. The images corresponding to all of the
levels are computed before the registration
process starts. However, for the registration
itself, only one level is used as a time. An
interesting modification to explore is to compute
the levels only on demand (e.g. only when the
registration method needs them) and discard the
memory of levels that have already been used for the
registration.

An easy way of checking if that may be enough for
your current problem is to set only two levels in
the pyramid and set them to the two finer resolutions
you currently have.  If that fits in memory, the
computation of one level at a time will probably
help in you case too.