[Insight-users] segmentation registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:58:18 -0500

Hi Michael,

Mmmm,
is your supervisor suscribed to the users-list  ?   :-)

Just in case..., I think he/she is right !

Yes, you could use level sets (which are an implementation
of active contours) for segmenting the tonge. It depends
on how bright the tag lines are in the MRI...

----

I just sent you another email regarding deformable
registration.  It explains how to run Demons on the
saggital slices you have. Note that if you do this,
the deformation field can be used as a segmentation
mechanism since the tonge is the only moving object
in the image, the rest should be static, e.g. the
skull and the brain.

If you get deformation fields from Demons or FEM,
you can simply proceed to compute the magnitude
of the displacement vectors and create a scalar
image with them.  It should be relatively easy to
threshold this image and get a mask of the objects
that are moving from one slice to the next (along
time). (this moving object should be the tongue and
some of the soft tissue under the jaw.

Notice that this is *completely* equivalent to the
widespread technique of using optical-flow for
tracking movement in video sequences. This is commonly
used in video surveillance.  You may want to take
a look at computer vision literature, including
keywords such as compression of video, movement
detection, optical-flow, MPEG.