[Insight-users] Re: Visualizing Vector Fields ... with ParaView

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 02:45:50 -0500

Hi Hari,

You probably are using now ParaView 1.2.1
(which is an updated release).

       http://www.paraview.org

A couple of things have changed in ParaView since
the message below was posted in december 2003.

For example:

1) Now you can read MetaImage fileformat directly
    (they can contain scalar or vector images)

2) ExtractVOI is now called ExtractGrid
    (as you already noticed)

The simple way of visualizing deformation fields now is to
load your MetaImage file containing the vector image and
directly select the filter "Glyph", and in the options of
the glyph filter set:

   a) Orient Mode = Vector
   b) Scale Mode  = Vector Magnitude
   c) Scale Factor = play with this value to scale your vectors

The reason for using ExtractGrid is to subsample the original
vector image. This is only needed if your deformation field
has a large number of pixels (~ high resolution). Otherwise
you can simply use the Glyph filter connected directly at the
output of the reader.

Please let us know if you find any problems.