[Insight-users] IMAGINE... "THE I"

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 05:03:50 -0500

Trinity:

    "I know why  you are here, Neo.
     I know what you have been doing.
     I know why  you hardly sleep.
     Why you live alone and why night
     after night you sit at your computer.

     You are looking for an answer.
     It's the question that brought you here.
     You know the question."

Neo:

    "I want to know where my paper is.
     It was submitted a year ago and
     hasn't been published."

Trinity:

    "The answer is out there, Neo.
     It's looking for you and it will find you
     if you want it to.

     Morpheus will guide you, but let me give
     you one piece of advice: Be honest !
     He knows more than you can imagine."

Morpheus:

    "I can see it in your eyes. You have the look
     of a man who accepts what he sees because he
     is expecting to wake up. Ironically this is
     not far from the truth.

     Do you believe in fate in scientific
     publishing, Neo?"

Neo:

     "No"

Morpheus:

     "Why not ?"

Neo:

     "Because I don't like the idea that
      I'm not in control of my publications."

Morpheus:

     "I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell
      you why you are here. You're here because
      you know something. What you know you can't
      explain, but you feel it. You've felt it
      your entire life, that there is something
      wrong in the world of scientific publications.

      You don't know what it is, but it's there,
      like as splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
      It is this feeling that has brought you to me.
      Do you know what I'm talking about?

Neo:

     "The Matix !

      I mean,... the peer-review process".

Morpheus:

     "Do you want to know what it is?
      Peer-review is everywhere. It is all around us.
      It is in every University, in every research
      laboratory, in every journal, in every conference.
      It is the world that has been pulled over your
      eyes to blind you from the truth."

Neo:

     "What truth ?"

Morpheus:

     "That you are a slave, Neo.
      Like everyone else you were born in bondage.
      Born into a prison that you can not smell,
      or taste, or touch. A prison for your mind.

      Unfortunately,
      no one can be told what the Matrix is.
      You have to see it for yourself.
      This is your last chance. After this there
      is no turning back.

      You take the blue pill. The story ends.
      You wake up in your laboratory and keep
      waiting for your paper to be published.

      You take the red pill. You stay in Wonderland,
      and I show you how deep the peer-review process
      goes.

[BLUE PILL] : Stop reading this thread in the users-list.

-----------------

IMAGINE:

    Imagine a scientific journal where
    you don't fell like a Battery.

    Imagine a Journal where its reputation
    is not built by the number of rejected
    papers and how hard it is to publish on it.

    Imagine a Journal where reputation is based
    on the number of published papers, the high
    publication speed and the availability of the
    source code and data associated with the papers.

    Imagine a Journal that is indexed by Google,
    where all the articles are distribted as PDF
    files for freee and where you can actually
    collaborate with authors instead of critisize
    them.

    Imagine.....