[Insight-users] How can I take part in quality control

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:50:24 -0500

Hi Zach,

You are right,
Python and Tcl are not being extensively tested,
and sure enough that is a factor that contributes
to the wrapping being unstable.

The solution is indeed quite simple. You can configure
tests in python in your local build, and even if they
are failing, post them to the Dashboard. The Experimental
section is the place to start.

If the tests show up failing on the Dashboard there
will be more positive presure for fixing them and
more information available for keeping track of the
potential sources of error.

The extensive testing is a self-regulating system,
what is not tested breaks easily and hardly gets
noticed. At this point and time, the Toolkit will
be as good as the users-community will demand from
it and as much as user's themselves will be willing
to participate in the maintenance process.

This is a completly transparent process. The code is
open, the Dashboard is open. Please feel free to
configure a couple of python test and post experimental
builds or nightly builds to the Dashboard. As we get
those fixed we can add your tests to the standard testing
suite and progressively increase the coverage for Python,
Tcl and Java.