[Insight-users] RE: Ultrasound image Surface rendering

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:58:02 -0500

Hi Steven,

ITK does not provide any visualization functionalities.

Your best option is to perform segmentation with ITK
and visualization with VTK.

Assuming that you find an image processing pipeline
with ITK components that segment your image, you will
presumably be able to generate a binary mask of the
segmented region.

At this point you can convert this binary mask into
a VTK image as explained in the tutorial

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

and finaly use VTK components for rendering this image.

A summary of VTK options were posted in this list on
march, please look at the message in the archive:

http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2003-March/002718.html

You may want to look at the VTK book for examples on
how to produce surface renderings. You will also find
examples of surface rendering for medical applications in
the examples distributed with VTK source code, in particular
look at the directory:

     VTK/Examples/Medical/Cxx

                    Medical1.cxx
                    Medical2.cxx