[Insight-users] Re: VersorRigid3DTransform

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:26:00 -0500

Hi Radhika,

The Center of rotation was removed because it
is not really needed for the optimization and
it costs 50% more on computing time to attempt
to optimize the center (9 parameters versus
6 parameters).

In practice it is enough to get close to the
real center of rotation in order stabilize the
optimization. Note that in principle, we could
have stick to always use the origin of coordinates
as center of rotation. Mathematically it is enough
to rotate around the origin and to apply a translation
in order to get any rigid transformation.

The only reason for introducing an arbitrary center
of rotation is that it reshapes the cost function in
such a way that is is easy to perform a gradient
descent on it.

The Center of rotation is set to the origin by default.
I *strongly* suggest you to set the Center of rotation
with the helper class

      CenteredTransformInitializer
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1CenteredTransformInitializer.html

as is illustrated in the Example file

   Insight/Examples/Registration/ImageRegistration8.cxx