[Insight-users] FEMRegistrationFilter: multi-resolution techniques

Brian B Avants avants at grasp.cis.upenn.edu
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:50:59 -0500 (EST)

Jens * glad to hear you're having some success already.  Your approach is
the correct one.  Level by level optimization is the most efficient.  You
will find, also, that the parameters from previous levels are usually
inherited fairly well.  As for looking at the output from a single (low)
level registration, what you have found might qualify as a bug.  Your
intuition about what's happening is likely correct in that the size of the
deformation field and the image is mismatched.  Without changing any code,
you can look at your output by setting the number of iterations at the
higher levels to 1 (as in your code below) but with large material
parameters, enforcing zero change in the field.  The filter will then
expand the fem domain and deformation fields so that they should be
matched to the full resolution image.

as for diagnosing the mismatch problem, one thing you can try is this:

  run the registration at the low resolution

  create a deformation field pointer in your app and get the output field
    field = femregistration->GetDeformationField();

  check the size and spacing of the field
    std::cout << " spacing " << field->GetSpacing() << " size " <<
field->GetLargestPossibleRegion().GetSize() << std::endl;

  these values should be the same as the fixed image.

  if they are not, it could be because of something in the
VectorExpandImageFilter.  my local copy did not set spacings correctly in
some cases. the code i changed was in generateoutputinformation

    outputSpacing[i] = inputSpacing[i] / (float)((long)((float)
m_ExpandFactors[i]+0.5));

i'm not sure what the state of the release/cvs code is.

you can also monitor the progress of the image registration by adding :

    WarpImage(m_Load->GetMovingImage());
    WriteWarpedImage(m_ResultsFileName.c_str());

at the end of the iterativesolve() loop in the femregistrationfilter. you
can do this every nth iteration if you like.

let us know if you have other questions and if you have luck fixing the
problem.

Brian