[Insight-users] Problem with Analyze format

Benjamin King king.benjamin at mh-hannover.de
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:50:34 +0100

Hi Radhika,

> There appears to be a problem with the Analyze format. When I read in an
> unsigned 16 bit integer data, and write it out in Analyze format, the
> header that goes with the .img file appears incompatible so I cannot
> view it

I experience a similar behaviour when I try to open ITK's Analyze files in
e.g. VolView. I fix the header by first opening the file with MRIcro
(http://www.psychology.nottingham.ac.uk/staff/cr1/mricro.html). Then in
the Header->Information dialog, set the field G_Max to something other
than 0, e.g. 4095 (which is the maximum for 12bit unsigned int data).
Finally save the header overwriting the old one. VolView can now read and
display the file.

For another software package, I also have to change the scale field (on
the MRIcro main window just below the endianess display) to something
greater than 0.

If you'd like to know more about the Analyze format, you may refer to
http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image-faq/html/part5.html or
http://www.mayo.edu/bir/PDF/ANALYZE75.pdf

cheers,
   Benjamin