[Insight-users] Re: problem(text) : Brain Shift

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 20 17:31:24 EDT 2004

Hi Yxliu,

1) If you need to extract the surface of the gray matter,
   you should look at the set of segmentation methods
   available in ITK. Probably good options to try first
   are the LevelSet methods and RegionGrowing methods.

   You are strongly encouraged to read the Chapter on
   image segmentation from the ITK Software Guide.

2) Yes, ITK provides methods for performing

        PointSet to Image     registration   and
        PointSet to PointSet  registration

3) Do you actually have a dataset acquired when the brain
   was deformed ?

   If you don't, then there is no reference information
   that you can use in order to find the boundary conditions.
   You will have to rely on a simulation of a material with
   physical characteristics similar to real brain tissues.

4) NOTE that the application of FEM for deformable registration
   is purely artificial. At the end the FEM framework plays the
   role of a regularization mechanism and  the role of interpolator
   for the deformation vector field.

5) Yes you can use BSplineDeformableTrnasform with both
   the PointSetToImage and the PointSet to PointSet
   registration methods.

   Please read the Chapter on Registration in the Software Guide.

Before you go further, it seems that it will be helpful to do a
global overview of your goals, because you may not be gathering
the real data needed for this simulation to be meaningful.