[Insight-users] Re: need your help : FEM registration for surfaces and clouds of points

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Jun 24 20:00:35 EDT 2004

Hi Yxliu

The FEM framework in ITK is mostly designed for
registering two images. The mesh is used as a suport
for representing the deformation and its physical
model.

What you have sounds more like a PointSet to Surface
registration. In that context you you may rather use
the Iterative Closest Point approach but with a
transform with many degrees of freedom (e.g. more
than the Rigid 3D).

You will find and example on the use of ICP in ITK
under:

   Insight/Examples/Registration/
               IterativeClosestPoint1.cxx
               IterativeClosestPoint2.cxx
               IterativeClosestPoint3.cxx

Note that the Transform can be selected from the
set of ITK transforms. You probably can get
a fairly large amount of deformation with an
AffineTransform first, and then if necessary
continue with a BSplineDeformaleTransform.

The examples above were added after release 1.6.
Therefore you will have to use a CVS version of
ITK in order to find them.

Please let us know if you have further questions.