[Insight-users] Multi-modal volume registration using mutual information

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jun 28 23:32:25 EDT 2004

Hi Luke,

Are you using Multi-Resolution ?

The way to get registrations working below 2 minutes
require at least two levels in a multi-resolution pyramid.
You don't need to do smoothing before subsampling since it
takes too long and it is not critical for getting the
registration done.

Powell is a relatively primitive optimization method.
We usually work with the GradientDescent optimizer, and in
the case of Mutual-Information it is reasonable to use the
OnePlusOne evolutionary optimizer.

Also, you probably don't want to use an Affine transform for
the two coarsest levels of the pyramid. A rigid transform will
do it ok at those levels, and only has 6 parameters to be
optimized.

Please try the ImageRegistration plugin in VolView.

You can download the free version of VolView from

    http://www.kitware.com/products/volview.html

and you will find the source code of the plugins in

    InsightApplications/VolviewPlugins