[Insight-users] Masks in ImageToImageMetric

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon, 03 May 2004 15:52:34 -0400

Hi Francois,

Your observation is correct. The MattesMutualInformation
implementation in ITK was not yet taking the Masks into
account.  The set of random pixels was being sampled from
the region that the user provides as the FixedImageRegion.

These points were mapped through the transform into the
MovingImage space and if they fall inside the physical
extent of the moving image, then they were taken into
account for the computation of the joint histogram.

Note that you could use the "FixedImageRegion" in order
to restrict the computation of the Metric to a rectangular
region of the fixed image.

---

This issue has been entered as a Feature Request in the
bug tracker.

http://www.itk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=817&pos=0

and...     has been implemented today.

Please update your CVS checkout in order to get this
modification.

You can now create a SpatialObject over your Fixed
image and another SpatialObject over your Moving
image in order to specify the region of pixels that
you want to participate into the Metric computation.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

--------------

Just for the record:

    The paper in which this variant of
    Mutual Information was published is :

"PET-CT Image Registration in the Chest Using Free-Form Deformations"
by Mattes, Haynor, Vesselle, Lewellen and Eubank

     Received  :       June    11  2001
     Revised   :       July    16  2002
     Published :       January     2003

     Total time:          18 Months

     Source code available with the paper:     No
     Image  data available with the paper:     No
     Research supported with public funds:    Yes