[Insight-users] Problems with 3D DeformableRegistrationFilter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue May 4 03:30:52 EDT 2004

Hi Jayme,

1) Yes, the FEM Registration filter is a bit unusual in the sense
    that it groups a lot of functionality. It is almost an application
    in itself.

    The reason why it cannot use the basic registration framework is
    that its approach doesn't quite match with the structure of an
    optimizer, metric, ... etc.

    You may want to add a couple of "Feature requests" in the
    bug tracker, in particular regarding the emision of Events.

                  http://www.itk.org/Bug/

    Note that refreshing the deformation field at each iteration
    maybe too costly. This filter represents the deformation using
    the displacements of the mesh nodes. The computation of the
    full deformation field requires to sample pixels over the mesh
    and will produce a performace hit if performed at each iteration.

    You could however request to have a callable method that computes
    the resample deformation field. In this case, your observer could
    force the computation only when needed.

2) That's an excellent question.    :-)

    To give you a Mathematical answer:

      "Yes,
       sure there is an intelligent way of selecting parameters."

    The elasticity and rhoc parameters depend on the intensity of your
    images, their similarity and the type of image metric that you use.

    If you think in physics, you will find a more natural approach to
    parameter selection. Set a minimal FEM grid, for example 3x3x3 nodes,
    and make the metric print out all the derivative values computed at
    the nodes. Those are the forces excerted over the nodes.  Start with
    a low elasticity parameter, which should result in large
    deformations. Then restart the registration with progressively higher
    elasticity values until you find displacement that are in the range
    of your expected deformations.

I'm affraid that you will need to read at least an introduction to FEM
concepts in order to make good use of this filter. Otherwise it will
quite difficult for you to follow the relationships between the
parameters.