[Insight-users] How to get rid of noise in image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed May 5 03:57:18 EDT 2004

Hi Chunyan,

Noise reduction is discussed in detail in the SoftwareGuide:

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Section 6.5, pdf-page 167 to 196.  You may want to look in
particular to section 6.5.2 "Edge Preserving Smoothing".

Just for the record, note that surprisingly the MedianImage
filter, when applied for multiple iterations produce results
similar to the anisotropic diffusion filter, but at a fraction
of the computational time.

Parameter fine tunning as always is an spiritual exercise
from which you cannot escape. Gather your patience, some
coffee and run systematic tests on your images by changing
the parameters of the filters.

You may find convenient to play with the demo application:

        InsightApplications/RegionGrowing

that offers you a user interface for several edge-preserving
smoothing filters.

    http://www.itk.org/HTML/RegionGrowingSegmentation.htm

you can simply use the first part of the application, where
the homogeneous image is generated.