AW: [Insight-users] Question about edge extraction

Jiang jiang@TI.Uni-Trier.DE
Wed May 5 09:16:19 EDT 2004

Hi Zach,
I'm so happy to tell you that it works fine!
I set SetThreshold(0.6) (I also tried other numbers, but 0.6 is the
best),
then I get very perfect result.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Chunyan Jiang

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Zachary Pincus [mailto:zpincus@stanford.edu]=20
Gesendet: Dienstag, 4. Mai 2004 18:40
An: Jiang
Cc: ITK
Betreff: Re:[Insight-users] Question about edge extraction

Jiang,

As you will note from the tutorials online about the canny filtering=20
(and I *highly* recommend reading up on any method you intend to use;=20
everything just makes more sense that way!), the most important=20
parameter is the threshold for labeling edges that the canny filter=20
uses. (this is set with the SetThreshold method.)

This threshold controls how strong an edge must be before the filter=20
will attempt to trace it. Try setting that threshold; the default value=20
is 0 (I think), which basically disables one of the most useful parts=20
of the canny filter.

The variance and error parameters (as per the ITK documentation)=20
control the initial smoothing, and should matter some, but a lot less=20
than the canny threshold.

Zach