[Insight-users] Re: Newbies searching

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue May 11 00:23:43 EDT 2004

Hi Sickboy

1) A 3D volume is not a 3D model.

    In your previous email you were asking
    for reading Dicom 2D slices and constructing
    a volume with them.

    If what you want is a 3D model, you should
    prepare some coffee and start reading the
    chapters on imageg Segmentation on the
    SoftwareGuide.

      http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

    You will also find an overview of ITK segmentation
    methods in the Tutorial sessions:

      http://www.itk.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

2) Please look at the Tutorials:

    ITK provides Image Processing, Image Segmentation
    and Image Registrtion. VTK provides Visualization.

    There are many segmentation methods and people are
    still doing Ph.D. developing new ones.  The method
    you select must be appropriate for the anatomical
    structures you are interested in, the image modality,
    the time available and the final application that
    you intent for the segmentated model.

3) You will find Brain datasets in the Data link:

          http://www.itk.org/HTML/Data.htm