[Insight-users] Question about levenberg-marguardt optimizationfor the normalized correlation metric

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed May 12 23:27:08 EDT 2004

Hi Zhaoqiang:

Single   valued cost function = a function that returns a single value
Multiple valued cost function = a function that returns multiple values

The Doxygen documentation states:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SingleValuedCostFunction.html
"This class is a base for the CostFunctions returning a single value"

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MultipleValuedCostFunction.html
"This class is a base for the CostFunctions returning a multiple values"

For example

       sin(x)       is a single valued cost function

       exp(i.X)     is a multiple valued cost function
                    since the returned complex number
                    can be seen as an array of length = 2

For a mathematical definition:

     http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Single-ValuedFunction.html