[Insight-users] danielsson distance map vector field

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu May 13 20:09:48 EDT 2004

Hi David:

1) An example on the use of the DistanceMap for
    accelerating the IterativeClosestPoint registration
    has been added under

         Insight/Examples/Registration/
                   IterativeClosestPoint3.cxx

2) You don't pass the distance map to the Optimizer
    but to the Metric. The IterativeClosestPointMetric

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1IterativeClosestPointMetric.html

    Already knows how to use the Distance map.

3) You could take the Canny edges and extract a
    set of points to be used as a FixedPointSet.

    Note that if you follow the example

                   IterativeClosestPoint3.cxx

    you will do something like:

    CannyEdges --->  FixedPoints ---> BinaryImage ---> DistanceMap
                        |                                 |
                        |                                 |
                        +------------> ICP Metric <-------+
                                           ^

                     MovingPoint-----------+

    Where there is some redundancy between the Canny edges image
    and the Binary image that you feed into the DistanceMap filter.

    You could try the following:

     CannyEdges ------->  DistanceMap ------+
         +------- FixedPoints -------> ICPMetric
                                            ^

                      MovingPoint-----------+

    Note that after you do this, you will be registering
    the MovingPointSet against the CannyEdges, not against
    the FixedPointSet. In that regard, the extraction of
    fixed points from the CannyEdges is not that critical....