[Insight-users] co-occurrence matrix

Glenn Pierce glennpierce@connectfree.co.uk
Fri May 14 16:04:41 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 10:17 -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Hi Glenn
>

> You don't really need to write much code in order
> to  compute a coocurrence matrix in ITK because a
> Coocurrence Matrix is simply a 2D Histogram.
>
> The itk::Statistics::Histogram class has been desigened
> from the beginning for supporting multicomponent data.
> Actually if you look at the Histogram example in the
> SoftwareGuide, it is a 2D histogram case:
>
>    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf
>
> Section 10.1.3, pdf-page 428.
>
> --
>
> You should be fine by just taking your two input images
> and composing a Vector image with them. For this you can
> use the Compose3DVectorImageFilter:
> http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classCompose2DVectorImageFilter.html

Ah I think I must have the wrong terminology, As I am working with only
one grey scale image.
Or maybe I am missing something fundamental.

I was thinking of a grey-level co-occurence matrix.
ie for each pixel in a grey scale image I would record the intensity
level and also the intensity level of one of the adjacent pixels (Can do
this for each of the adjacent pixels).  I would then use the two
intensity values as an index in maybe a 2d histogram where I increment
the value at that index.

This can provide information about the regions of the image

(Sorry about the poor explanation)
probably better description at
http://www.engr.panam.edu/ee/faculty/harlow/6399/notes/Ch24.pdf.

Sorry if I have misunderstood.