[Insight-users] Fuzzy connectedness 3D

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue May 18 15:49:22 EDT 2004

Hi Alex,

There shouldn't be any problem for reading your
data set from a group of DICOM slices and passing
it to the FuzzyConnectedness filter.

The 2 hours that you are experiencing for a
512 x 512 x 70 is excesive.

Using this filter for extracting the ventricles
from one of the BrainWeb images (181 x 200 x 180 )
takes about 1 minute in a Pentium 4, at 2.4Ghz.

What anatomical structure are you trying to
segment from your CT data ?

Some questions:

1) Did you compile your code for Release ?
    (e.g. -O3 in gcc, or /Release in VisualStudio).

2) How are you providing the estimation of the
    Mean value to the filter ?

3) How are you providing the estimation of the
    Variance to the filter ?

You may want to experiment first with the demo
application

       InsightApplications/
               RegionGrowingSegmentaiton

where the FuzzyConnectendes filter is on the GUI.
Note that you must provide Variance, not standard
deviation. Therefore typical values for an MRI are
in the range of 100s while values in a CT may be
in the range of 1e4 to 1e6.