[Insight-users] make an initial level-set

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Wed May 26 07:17:50 EDT 2004

Toon Huysmans wrote:
>     I think I have a very simple question: how do I make an initial
> level-set form a binary image, where black is outside and white is
> inside the initial segmentation.
>
>     Can I directly use the binary image or should I make it a disctance map?

The 0-value level-set of you initial level-set function should be the
interface that you want to involve. Your initial level-set function does
not have to be a distance field (the ITK level set code will take care
of creating the distance field).

In other words, for your specific binary image, change the white inside
your object to -1 and the black outside to 1.  The convention is < 0 on
the inside and > 0 on the outside.  This means for example that a
positive propagation factor will result in an outwards (i.e.
inflationary) propagation speed term.

HTH,
Charl