[Insight-users] Segmentation, edges with different constrast

Toon Huysmans denhuys at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 12:11:21 EDT 2004

Hello, bothering you guys again,

    In my segmentation problem I have to segment a structure which has on one side a high contrast boundary and on the
other side a low contrast boundary.  I m using GeodesicActiveContours to do the segmentation, so I need to supply a feature image.  This I construct by taking the sigmoid of the gradient magnitude.  But, because of the difference in contrast, the features one one side are much stronger (wider and darker) than on the other side.  This causes leaks, on the low contrast side, if I let the GeodesicActiveContours run long enough for the levelset to reach the edge on the high contrast side.

    So should I adjust the histogram so that there is equal contrast (but what will happen to the noise).  Or are there better
    solutions?

Thanks,

Toon.