[Insight-users] SetFixedImageRegion : Demons & constrast image registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Oct 8 12:36:02 EDT 2004

Hi Mark,

Thanks for letting us know that the Extract+Demons
combination worked for you.

1) The issue with usind Demons for registering
    pre versus post constrast images is that Demons
    attempt to shift tissue in order to match the
    intensity levels between the images.  There is
    a risk that the presence of the contrast agent
    may induce mis-matches between both input images.

    When I suggested to use a mask over the contrast
    agent region I was assuming some sort of angiography
    images where the contrast agent is usually constrained
    to a relatively small region of the image.

    However, if you are in a case where the constrast
    agent can reach almost any corner, then you probably
    have to go for a Mutual Information metric and one
    of the two following methods

    A) FEM deformable registration

    B) BSplines deformable registration

2) Smoothing may not help you in this case in the
    Demons methods. Adding more smoothing is equivalent
    to increading the rigidity of the deformation. It
    doesn't really affect the potential intensity mismatches.
    The more you smooth the deformation field, the more
    uniform the deformation field becomes. This is a trade-off
    between regularization (noise reduction) and resolution
    of the deformation field.

3) The method that you found in the Tutorial is explained
    in detail in the examples:

      Insight/Examples/DeformableRegistration4.cxx
      Insight/Examples/DeformableRegistration6.cxx

    This uses a BSplineTransform and the LBGSB optimizer.
    In this configuration you can select any of the ITK
    image metrics.

Please let us know if you have any further questions,