[Insight-users] Estimation of rotation scales

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Oct 12 14:09:43 EDT 2004

Hi Sam,

Here is an heuristic rule for estimating good
values for the rotation/translation scales.

1) Estimate the bounding box of your points
    (in physical units).

2) Take the 3D Diagonal of that bounding box

3) Multiply that by 10.0.

4) use 1.0 /[ value from (3) ] as the translation
    scaling value.

5) use 1.0 as the rotation scaling value.

With this operation you bring the translation units
to the range of rotations (e.g. around -1 to 1).
After that, all your registration parameters are
in the relaxed range of -1:1. At that point you
can start setting your optimizer with step lengths
in the ranges of 0.001 if you are conservative, or
in the range of 0.1 if you want to live dangerously.
(0.1 radians is about 5.7 degrees).

This heuristic rule is based on the naive assumption
that your registration may require translations as
large as 1/10 of the diagonal of the bounding box.