[Insight-users] parameters of viola & wells mutual information metric

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Oct 15 12:05:48 EDT 2004

Hi Kristina,

In general terms, the computation time of one GetValueAndDerivatives()
call of the MutualInformation metric, is proportional to he number of
Sampling points.

Note that, it has been shown both theoretically and experimentally
that the number of sampling points is almost irrelevant for the
results of registration based on Mutual Information.

So, in principle, you want to experiment by reducing the number of
sampling points in this metric.

Note that your choice of the KernelFunction is also critical for
the run-time performance of this metric. Did you found the BSpline
Kernel to be faster than the default GaussianKernel ??

Please let us know,