[Insight-users] problem with vtk on debian with opengl libs from ati radeon

Meshulum Laks mlaks at verizon.net
Sun Oct 17 15:25:21 EDT 2004

Hi,
I am working with vtk on 2 different systems. Both are running debian linux
sid.

On one I also installed a ati radeon 9800xt video card with the proprietary
ati opengl packages. This is giving me trouble.

I installed the debian vtk packages on both machines. On the standard video
card (using the mesa opengl libraries i guess) machine, the vtk packages work
fine. the tutorial examples work with both python and c++ versions.

However on the other machine, the programs compile fine but i get nonsense
images (a few flickering pixels instead of the nice rotating cones).
I abandoned the debian vtk precompiled binaries and  then downloaded and
compiled and installed the latest release version of the vtk kit (although i
had it on both disks from both the textbook and users guide it was easier to
download...) as well as the data etc. I compiled and set the environmental
variables to point to the local install /home/mlaks/VTK, and nonetheless
still get the same effect - nothing more than a few flickering pixels. No
Cones!!!!

I would like to take advantage of the cards memory and pipeline for vtk/opengl
(thats why i bought it, not for games :) ). What can i do to set it up???

Thanks!
Mitchell