[Insight-users] New Metric suggestions

N.E. Mackenzie Mackay 9nem at qlink.queensu.ca
Wed Oct 20 12:17:48 EDT 2004

Hey Everyone,

	Right now I am trying to register a set of points on an image.  I want
the end result of the registration to have the summation of of the
pixel values in the image where the points lie to be as high as
possible.  In other words: I want the points to be in the brightest
spot of the image.

	My image is an ultrasound image and the points represent the surface
of a the bone extracted from a CT scan.  I am assuming that the
brightest points in my ultrasound is the surface.  Hence why I want my
points to end up there.  What is happening is the points optimize to
the at different locations... while close not what I want.

	It's a rigid registration so only rotations and translations are
necessary.  As of now I have been changing between a mean squared and
normalized correlation metric.  Both giving different results that I
hoped.  Instead of going to the brightest points the registrations
seems to optimize at the highest variance.  E.G. If I had an image that
was half white and half black the points would go to the intersection
of the black and white area.  Even if there was a very bright area in
the white section.  This is of course a simplified version of what is
going on.

	 I want the end result to be the points lying on the brightest pixel
values possible.

	if anyone could suggest a metric that is already written in ITK or
even something that I could right my self I would be more then happy to
hear.

Thank you for your help,
Neilson