[Insight-users] DICOM series

Uday Kurkure udaykurkure at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 18:25:45 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I have been playing with ITK DICOM series image
read/write and MRIconvert to write a volume image in
.raw format. The findings and problems:

1. In a single series there are slices of volumes
acquired at different time instants. And
unfortunately, the acquisition time label in the
headers is same for all. So, sorting by slice location
doesn't work properly as there are more than one
slices at the same position (of different time
instants). Is there any other way to sort the slices
in a volume and also sort the volumes?
(These are original primary capture images)

2. I myself sorted the images for one volume (acquired
at one time instant)and saved them in a separate
folder with naming convention:
msPP_VV_SS.dcm, where PP is subject number, VV is
volume number and SS is the slice number in that
volume. But now also if I run the code, it reads a
single slice 'ms01_01_05.dcm' 11 times (there are 11
slices in the folder). How to fix this? (Since this is
secondary write of DICOM images, Image Number info is
lost, but rest all (like slice location, patient
position/orientation etc) are there in the header.

Thanks,

-Uday