[Insight-users] RE: Examples on GrayScaleFillHoleImageFiler? And using breast ima ges on mypacs.net

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Fri Oct 29 09:56:14 EDT 2004

A reference to the FillHole technique is mentioned in the documentation.
The excerpt is below.

 * Geodesic morphology and the Fillhole algorithm is described in
 * Chapter 6 of Pierre Soille's book "Morphological Image Analysis:
 * Principles and Applications", Second Edition, Springer, 2003.

The GrindPeak algorithm is essentially the dual of this algorithm. (Though
not mentioned in the above text).

These techniques use geodesic morphology.  There is no structuring element
to change.  They operate on the 4/8 connected neighbors and run iteratively
until convergence.

Jim