[Insight-users] Reading images : Visible Woman Eye : Segmentation validation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Oct 30 17:31:35 EDT 2004

Hi Gabriele,

Thanks for letting us know the exact location
of the images that you are trying to load.

All the files in
ftp://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/Data/WatershedSegmentationValidation/ColorVHP/

are RAW files, and their format is described in the README.txt file.

We just created MetaImage files for all the RAW files in the subdirectories

                      ColorVHP/GroundTruth
                      ColorVHP/HandSegmentations
                      ColorVHP/WSSegmentations

The MetaImage header files have extensions .mhd and can be read with the
itk::ImageFileReader directly. This means that *any* ITK application that
is capable of loading 3D data, will be able to read these images.

In particular, for the segmentations you can use the viewer in

        InsightApplications/ImageViewer

for the color images you can use the viewer in

        InsightApplications/ImageColorViewer

You can also load .mhd file in ParaView. This is an open source
application that can be downloaded for free from

          http://www.paraview.org

For details on the MetaImage format please read the description
on the "Data" link of www.itk.org.

If you still want ot convert those volume to series of 2D slices
then please look at the Example

       Insight/Examples/IO/ImageReadImageSeriesWrite.cxx

For details on the use of the itk::ImageFileRead class, please read
the chapter of the ITK Software Guide

        http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Chapter "Reading and Writing Images".

Note that every .mhd file corresponds to a volume. The reason
why you find multiple volumes for every structure { eye, lens, rectus,
optic nerve} is that the segmentation were done multiple times in
order to asses reproducibility.