[Insight-users] Re: extend classes with cableswig

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Aug 4 09:06:27 EDT 2005

Gaetan Lehmann wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:06:53 +0200, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>> The "right" way to do this is to get rid of CableSwig and extend
>> standard SWIG with a %xml(gccxml) option to import a gccxml dump.
>> Then  all the standard swig stuff will work properly.  I think this
>> approach  will be much better than trying to get all the swig
>> extension syntax  into CableSwig.
>>

> Do you already know how to modify SWIG ? Is it lot of work to do ?

A parser for the GCC-XML output (similar to that in the Cable part of
CableSwig) would have to be implemented in SWIG.  It would be invoked by
a %xml directive and would be responsible for converting the .xml file
to SWIG's internal representation as if its native parser had run.  I'm
guessing it would take about a month to do a solid implementation plus
some more time for tweaking.

-Brad