[Insight-users] Re: MRIBiasCorrection

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Aug 10 20:11:26 EDT 2005

Hi Alma,

Yes, this mask is a binary image. The mask is intended to
eliminate pixels that have partial volume effects.

They are assumed to be the pixels in the edges of anatomical
structures; therefore the mask is expected to be close to a
edge-map of the image, eventually dilated a bit to have a
margin of security.

You may want to read the "README" file that is found in
the same directory of this application, as well as the
papers:

"Parametric estimate of intensity inhomogeneities applied to MRI"
Martin Styner, Guido Gerig, Christian Brechbuehler, Gabor Szekely,
IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MEDICAL IMAGING; 19(3), pp. 153-165, 2000,
(http://www.ia.unc.edu/public/styner/docs/tmi00.pdf)

"Evaluation of 2D/3D bias correction with 1+1ES-optimization"
  Martin Styner,  Guido Gerig (IKT, BIWI, ETH Zuerich), TR-197
(http://www.ia.unc.edu/public/styner/docs/StynerTR97.pdf)

Where this method is described.