[Insight-users] quick question: discrete or recursive gaussianfilter

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Fri Aug 12 08:28:00 EDT 2005

Someone once did an analysis of the two techniques.  Not sure where that is.  I google search may find it in the mail archives. I think they compared accuracy vs tims.  We should try to track that down and put it on the ITK Wiki or maybe a short paper in the Insight Journal.

I think in general, the DiscreteGaussian is more accurate than the RecursiveGaussian. I think this is particularly true for small sigma.

For large sigma, the RecursiveGaussian is much much much faster.  I think the RecursiveGaussian is constant time wrt sigma.

The DiscreteGaussian supports streaming, so you can smoothing just a piece of an image whereas the RecursiveGaussian has to process the entire image.

Jim