[Insight-users] Re: Morphological Top Hat & Contributions to ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 22 19:03:04 EDT 2005

Hi Gaetan,

The process for contributing code to ITK is almost
ready to be streamlined through the Insight Journal

http://www.insightsoftwareconsortium.org/InsightJournal/

In the near future, contributions will be sent directly
to the Insight Journal by the authors, along with a paper
that describe their implementation. The format for papers
is quite flexible and can be reduce to a couple of pages
describing the implemented code (when this is a well known
algorithm), or to more than 50 pages when the subject
deserves a full technical report.

Source code and images may be submitted along with papers
and will be tested automatically in a Dashboard set up
for this purpose.  Once this infrastructure is in place,
your contributions will be tested and made available to
the community in a matter of hours.

In this way, their passage into the toolkit will be simplified
and accelerated. In this way, we will pursue the goal of making
ITK to be Encyclopedia Galactica of medical image processing,
and having a companion system for Open Access to technical
publications.

Note that originality of contributions is not a requisite for
publishing in the Insight Journal, because originality is a
totally foreign concept to the scientific method. The central
concept of the modern scientific method is "Reproducibility".
This is what differentiate serious technical work from things
like the pseudo-sciences that the Kansas School board is
promoting in order to accelerate the return to the dark ages.

The rapid availability of documents, source code and data that
the Insight Journal is promoting will create a fertile environment
for fostering the process of medical imaging.

I share your impatience with the time that it takes to share code
and resources, and look forward for the impact that the Insight
Journal will have in our community.

   Best Regards,

      Luis