[Insight-users] Re: [Insight-developers] itkOrientedImage type definition

Gordon Kindlmann gk at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 23 14:07:49 EDT 2005

hello,

Okay, this sounds fine to me.  So you're saying that when an ITK
image is using direction cosines, the semantics of the direction
cosines dictate that the coefficients of those vectors can be
guaranteed to be measured relative to DICOM's standard LPS (towards
left, towards posterior, towards superior) patient-centered
coordinate system?  I just didn't know that LPS had been settled
upon, as opposed to, say RAS (and I do not mean orientation codes by
these letter combinations...).

Gordon