[Insight-users] Local smoothing of a deformation field

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Aug 31 10:54:26 EDT 2005

Hi Valerie,

One way to do it, is to first extract from the
deformation field a region corresponding to the
bounding box of your mask. Then smooth that smaller
deformation field with the

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SmoothingRecursiveGaussianImageFilter.html
or
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorGradientAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html
or
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VectorCurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html

Then mask the deformation field using your binary image
with the filter

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MaskImageFilter.html
or the filter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MaskNegatedImageFilter.html

Then paste the result into your original deformation
field, with the filter

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1PasteImageFilter.html

---

If you feel adventurous, it may be easier for you to
modify the Paste filter in order to accept a mask
as a second input, and use it for pasting only the
pixels that are under the mask. This should be a minimal
modification.

You could also modify the Mask image filter, for taking three inputs,
the two images to blend, and the mask that defines when to take pixels
from input 1 or from input 2.

If you do such modification, we will be happy to incorporate
it into the toolkit.