[Insight-users] Custom ITK class wrapping

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Sun Dec 4 05:41:12 EST 2005

Hi folks -

Sorry to send this to both the users and developers list, but I'm
hoping to get some advice on relatively deep ITK magic, so I'm not
sure where best to ask.

My basic question is if anyone can give me any advice, tips, or
warnings about creating a custom python wrapping library for ITK.

The basics of my problem are twofold:
(1) I wish to wrap some custom C++ classes I've written
(2) I've never managed to get the default python wrapper library to
work on OS X, due to some sort of loader issues with huge libraries.
(Perhaps this is fixed in the newest ITK releases, or under OS X
10.4? I haven't tried in a while.)

At any rate, I'd like to wrap a narrow subset of ITK and my custom
code into a (relatively) small python wrapper library. I know this
isn't a "supported" procedure, and a lot of very confusing stuff is
going on to get CMake, cswig, gccxml, and the rest to all cooperate
and make things work. If anyone could give me a rundown of the basic
issues involved here, and where I should start, I would be pretty
grateful.

I've read through some of the contents of $ITK_ROOT/Wrapping, and it
by and large makes sense -- but any details or hard-won insight into
how to make this work in my own project would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach