[Insight-users] NeuralNet Questions

Stephanie Powell stephanie-powell-1 at uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 9 15:27:23 EST 2005

Hi,

  I have implemented the OneHiddenLayerBackPropagationNeuralNetwork, but I
have several questions about specific variables used in the NeuralNet
class.

  Several of the variables & the use of these variables is unclear to me
when using a three layer neural net.

  In the itkOneHiddenLayer... the user has the ability to set the hidden and
output layer bias (setting the bias) of the weight layers, but it appears as
though this variable is not used at all.  There is a variable called m_Bias
that belongs to the BackPropagationLayer class which is used (it's default
value is 1), but the value itself is never set.  Why is the weights bias
value adjusted when it's not used and the layer bias value not adjusted when
it is used in training?

  Also, when training with momentum, it appears as though the momentum is
defaulted to 0.9, but there is no functionality allowing the user to change
this value.  Was it assumed that the user would not want to adjust this
value as a training parameter?

Thanks,
  Stephanie