[Insight-users] Getting translational transform matrix in each iteration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Dec 12 09:59:10 EST 2005

Hi Suresh,

   Yes,
   You can see the parameters of your transform at
   every iteration of the optimizer.

   Note that a TranslationTransform doesn't use a Matrix,
   because it simply does not need it. The transfromation
   is fully defined by a Vector.

   It is unfortunate that there is widespread assumption
   that Transforms *are* Matrices, while in practice this
   is only true for Rigid and Affine Transforms.

   --

   On the other hand, You seem to be confusing the Metric
   with a Matrix. The Metric is the cost function that

   What you want to look at is the parameters of the
   Translation Transform. You can get those from the
   optimizer at every iteration.

   You will find a detailed example on how to do this
   in the ITK Software Guide.

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

   in Section 8.3 "Monitoring Registration",
   in pdf-pages 360-365.

   You will benefit from reading the entire chapter on
   "Image Registration". That will help you to clarify
   how the concepts of registration have been implemented
   in the ITK framework.