[Insight-users] interpretation of the gradient step

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Dec 20 10:56:32 EST 2005

Hi Romain,

Thanks for the detailed description of your problem.

The parameter that you want to use for stopping the
RegularStepGradientDescent is the

             MinimumStepLength

This is the size of the step length at which the optimizer
will consider to have find enough precision in the parameters
of the Transform.

The code will be something like:

        optimizer.SetMinimumStepLength(  0.01 );

Notice the this is to be interpreted in terms of the Transform
parameters, and weighted by the ParameterScaling.

If you were using a TranslationTransform, then the mapping is
quite straightforward. The MinimalStepLength could be interpreted
in millimeters, and then you just need to set it to 1/10th of
the pixel size in your image.