[Insight-users] Maximization of MI in ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Dec 23 07:34:16 EST 2005

Hi Suresh,

Please read the "Image Registration" Chapter in the
ITK Software Guide

       http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

1) For Mattes MI you should concentrate on the parameters

     - Number of Histogram bins
     - Number of Spatial Samples

    You must profile the behavior of the Metric for known
    displacements. In this way, you will be able to appreciate
    the effect of the parameters on the final value of the
    Metric.

2) There are five different techniques for deformable
    registration in ITK

     - Demons
     - BSplines
     - FEM
     - Level Sets
     - Kernel Splines

    If the edges are being smeared, that means that you
    are not setting enough regularization. In the case
    of Demons, regularization is controled by the smoothing
    of the deformation field. Simply increase the smoothing,
    and that will make the deformation field more uniform.

3) Yes, FEM is implemented in ITK

    In FEM the regularization is controled with the
    Elasticity and Density parameters.