[Insight-users] re: how to check on goodness of registration

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Tue Feb 1 18:17:06 EST 2005

Hi Rex,

I am sure if there are numerical metrics other than MSE etc.

For a subjective evaluation you could

1. Overlay the images (after registration and before registration)
       To do that you might want to either

          a. use a itk-vtk pipeline and use vtkImageBlend
                as in      blend->SetInput(0, firstImage);
                             blend->SetInput(1, secondImage);

          b. Implement it in ITK with functors as in:
                  typedef BinaryFunctorImageFilter< InputImageType,
InputImageType, OutputImageType, BlendFunctor<InputPixelType,
InputPixelType, OutputPixelType> >   BlenderType;
                  typename BlenderType::Pointer blender =
BlenderType::New();
                  blender->SetInput1(......);
blender->SetInput2(......);

                where you will write the BlendFunctor.
                See http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/User_talk:Andy for writing
functors

2. A checkerboard pattern. There are lots of these in the SW Guide.
       You can use ImageToVTKImageFilter and then use
vtkImageCheckerboard filter

thanks
kk

You could do an overlay or